Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine

The Ken and Ruth Davee Department of Neurology

Vascular Neurology – Stroke Outcomes Research

As one of 25 Regional Coordinating Centers in the NIH/NINDS Stroke Trials Network, Northwestern University has been awarded a stroke research fellowship. We are accepting applications from interested candidates who have completed residency training in Neurology, Neurosurgery, Emergency Medicine, Rehabilitation, Pediatric Neurology, or Radiology.

The fellowship program is focused on outcomes methodology and clinical trial design and includes coursework towards a Masters of Science in Clinical Investigation at Northwestern. A mentoring program with clinical researchers will be established for each fellow based on particular areas of focus.  


The goal of the 1-year program is to develop skills that will enable candidates to compete for future grants (i.e. K awards) and develop early academic careers in the field of stroke.

During the year, the fellow will participate in active clinical trials as co-investigator and have clinical duties in stroke care (such as outpatient clinic and inpatient stroke service) amounting to 25% of the time while the remaining 75% will be protected for research activities and coursework. It is anticipated that accepted candidates will also complete other clinical fellowship training such as in vascular neurology or neurocritical care.

Clinical Experience

Northwestern Memorial Hospital is a certified Comprehensive Stroke Center and is the highest ranked hospital in the Chicago metropolitan area. The Departments of Neurology and Neurological Surgery are ranked 7th in the nation.

The breadth of cases presenting to Northwestern span a wide spectrum of cerebrovascular disease from acute ischemic stroke, transient ischemic attack, subarachnoid hemorrhage, intracerebral hemorrhage, intracranial aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations, carotid and intracranial stenosis, and intersect with complex conditions such as atrial fibrillation, cardiovascular surgery, malignancy, hematologic disorders, and inherited or genetic rare disorders. There are over 800 stroke and related conditions treated per year at NMH and over 1,500 outpatient visits for stroke in the Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation (NMFF) stroke clinic. These clinical opportunities provide ample exposure to vascular neurology over a one year training program.

Requirements & Eligibility

Applicants must be board certified or board eligible in Neurology, Neurosurgery or Endovascular surgery related to cerebrovascular disease and must demonstrate interest in pursuing a career in Vascular Neurology.

Residents are selected for the VN fellowship from eligible applicants based upon their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities. No discrimination is made based upon sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Approximately half of the eligible applicants are invited for personal interviews.

Application Process

We are accepting applications for this fellowship for academic year 2017-2018.

Required documents include:

Interviews will consist of meeting with our faculty and key stroke team members. Specific requests may be made for select candidates interested in pursuing specific research careers. Interviewers rate each applicant independently.

A stroke faculty meeting is held after interviews at which time applicant ratings are reviewed. Decisions regarding appointments to the fellowship are then made by consensus.

All interested candidates should apply and send a letter of interest and CV to:

Shyam Prabhakaran, MD, MS
Associate Professor
Department of Neurology
Feinberg School of Medicine
Northwestern University
710 North Lakeshore Ave.
Suite 1417
Chicago, IL 60611
Off: 312-503-2994
Fax: 312-503-2545

Shyam Prabhakaran, MD
Shyam Prabhakaran, MD
Associate Professor in Ken and Ruth Davee Department of Neurology

Current Fellow

Rasha Katib, PhD

Contact Us

For more information, contact Erin van Bladel.

Erin van Bladel
Neurology Fellowship Coordinator
Northwestern University
Feinberg School of Medicine, Abbott Hall
710 N. Lake Shore Drive, Room 1422
Chicago, Illinois 60611
Phone: 312-503-2849
Fax: 312-908-5073

Housestaff Research Portal

Feinberg has the infrastructure and resources to assist McGaw trainees interested in conducting scientific research. Visit our Housestaff Research Portal to learn more.